Most store-bought guacamoles are preservative laden travesties made with more sour cream than avocado. That’s because avocado’s aren’t cheap, and they tend to discolor and spoil rather quickly. Luckily, guacamole is probably one of the simplest things you could possibly make in your kitchen!
I love a tart guacamole and usually opt to douse the avocados with a healthy squeeze of lime juice. This keeps the avocado nice and green and the citrusy tang is a nice juxtaposition to the creamy avocado. A few years back, I found myself with some avocados that were ready to eat, a bag of tortilla chips and zero limes. I was about to go ahead and make the guac with champagne vinegar, but as I was removing the avocados from the fruit bowl, I spotted a lonesome grapefruit.
As it turns out, grapefruit and avocado are a match made in heaven. The colorful juice vesticles add little gems of color, and the tangy, gently sweet juice plays nicely with the rich avocado. It may seem like a pain to peel each segment, but the segments don’t need to be intact; just split each segment open and pluck the vesticles straight into the bowl (am I the only one that thinks this sounds a little dirty?).
By February 12, 2012Published:
- Yield: 2-3 cups
- Prep: 5 mins
The tart sweetness along with the slight bitter edge offset the creamy smoothness of the avocados well. Pickling the onions first keep them from overpowering the citrus and the cilantro adds a freshness that rounds out the guac nicely.
- 1/4 small red onion minced
- 1 grapefruit each segment peeled
- 2 avocados make sure they're ripe, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- hotsauce to taste
- Sprinkle some salt on the onions and use a squeezing motion with your hand to coax out some liquid. Rinse them with cold water, then pass them through a sieve and use a paper towel to remove as much water as possible.
- Add the onions to a bowl. Roughly crumble the grapefruit segments removing any remaining membranes into the bowl. It's okay if some juice comes out of the grapefruit.
- Add the avocado, cilantro and salt, then stir to mash up the avocado a bit, but leave some chunks. Serve with tortilla chips.