Update 01.22.2009: As it turns out, great minds think alike and Susan from Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy has also been thinking about creating an event with the same name. We've decided to team up and co-host Dinner and a Movie and will be alternating months. I'm still hosting the event this month, but next month it will live on Susan's blog (which if you don't already follow I'd recommend checking out)
We've also proven that two heads are better than one and are making a few changes to the format which are inline below. I'm always amazed at how awesome food bloggers are, and this is just another proof point for me. Susan's had a positive impact on this event and I'm excited about working together with her as co-host going forward.
While participating in food events and challenges can be fun, they can also be pretty stressful, so this food event was started to bring the fun back into it.
All you have to do is watch the movie for the month, make something related to the movie then post and submit it on the last Saturday of the month. That's it! There are no rules about what ingredients to use, what recipe to use, or what dish you must cook. As long as you can explain why the movie inspired your dish you can make anything you want.
For the first month, I've chosen one of my favourite movies: Chocolat. If you haven't seen it, it's a fairytale story about an extraordinary chocolate shop that opens in an ordinary town and soon turns the prosaic village upside down. Even if you have seen it, watch it again and see how it inspires you. Your dish doesn't even have to include chocolate, maybe the movie will inspire you to make some Mayan, Gypsy, or French fare.
To make this more community oriented, we'll also be hosting a live Twitter event on Saturday February 21 at 9PM EST. If you want to join us, start your copy of the movie at exactly 9pm EST and tweet along with @NoRecipes and @StickyGooeyChef and include "#daam" in your tweet so we can all find your tweet.
Anyone can participate (even if you don't have a blog). Just follow the guidelines below. Be creative, take some inspired photos but most importantly have fun!
- We encourage everyone to post on the last Saturday of the month (in this case February 28). However, if circumstances prevent you from posting on that day, feel free to post earlier.
- In you post, write a paragraph explaining how the movie inspired you to make this dish.
- Include the event banner below in your post. A link to the other co-host (Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy) would be appreciated but not required.
Send your submission to email@example.com by February 28, 11:59pm EST and include the following info:
- Your name:
- Blog name (if applicable):
- Blog URL (if applicable):
- Name of dish:
- One or two sentence description of the dish and how the movie inspired you to make it.
- Attach a photo that's no larger than 500 x 500.
We can't wait to see what you all come up with!