Bang Bang Chicken
Bang Bang ChickenBàng Bàng Jī, Bang Bang Chicken, or Banbanji? Bàng Bàng Jī (棒棒鸡, literally “Stick Stick Chicken”), is a salad of sorts with either shredded or thinly sliced chicken breast dressed with the tongue tingling and spicy málà balance of Sichuan pepper and chili oil. The name has a couple of origin myths that all have … Continue reading “Bang Bang Chicken”Marc Matsumoto
scallion (2-3 scallions, white parts only)
cucumber (2 Japanese cucumbers)
sesame paste (tahini will work)
garlic (2 large cloves, finely minced)
ginger (finely minced)
red chili flakes (to taste)
ground Sichuan pepper
roasted black sesame seeds
cilantro (for garnish)
- Cut the white part of the scallions into 2-inch lengths (5cm). Slice each piece open lengthwise. You want to cut halfway through the stalk, which should allow you to unroll the scallion into flat sheets. Then, just slice them into thin ribbons.
- Add the julienned scallions into a bowl of cold water, along with the baking soda. Let this sit soak while you prepare the rest of the Bang Bang chicken.
- Trim the ends off the cucumber and then use a rolling pin to crush the cucumber. Use your hands to break the cucumber up into bite-size pieces and then put them in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil (1 tablespoon salt to 6 cups water).
- While you're waiting for the water to boil, make the dressing by whisking together the black vinegar, soy sauce, sesame paste, sesame oil, and salt.
- To make the chili oil, add 2 tablespoons of oil to a small frying pan along with the ginger and garlic. Fry over medium heat until the mixture is very fragrant and starting to brown.
- Add the chili flakes and Sichuan pepper and fry until fragrant (but be careful not to burn it).
- Carefully drizzle the chili oil mixture into the black vinegar mixture. This will spatter so do this cautiously. Whisk to make a smooth dressing. Set aside.
- Add the chicken tenders to the boiling salt water and then turn off the heat. Let the chicken poach until you can split one in half and it's no longer pink inside (About 5-7 minutes).
- Transfer the chicken to an ice bath to stop the cooking immediately. Drain and pat dry and then shred the chicken into the bowl with the dressing.
- Squeeze any excess water from the cucumbers using your hands and then add the cucumber to the chicken. Add the black sesame seeds and then toss to coat everything evenly with the dressing.
- Drain and rinse the scallions and then use a salad spinner or paper towels to dry.
- Plate the bang bang chicken and top with a nest of scallions and cilantro leaves.