This dish was used as part of a 1 night “restaurant” held out of our apartment as part of the Foodbuzz 24,24,24 launch event.
The refreshing granita offsets the dense creamy mozzarella with a layer of basil leaves offering some herbal contrast to the umami laden duo. A light drizzle of olive oil and sweet 12 year balsamic vinegar finish the dish off like a bowl of shaved ice doused in nectar. As one guest put it “my tastebuds are confused”.
Despite the confused taste buds, the plates were emptied before I had a chance to get any action shots.
- 2 heirloom tomatoes ripe (of any variety)
- to taste kosher salt
- mozzarella fresh
- basil fresh
- balsamic vinegar aged
- olive oil good
- black pepper
- For the granita, just wash and core the tomatoes then throw them into a blender and puree with some salt until the tomatoes are smooth and frothy. Strain through a fine sieve or chinois to remove the skin and seeds.
- Freeze in tupperware , stirring every few hours until you have granita.
- To assemble the salad, just slice the mozzarella into thinish rounds, top with a layer of basil leaves and cover with a mound of granita.
- Finish with a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil along with a twist of black pepper.