Ikura (Salmon Caviar)
Ikura (Salmon Caviar)How to easily separate and cure salmon roe in a dashi brine to make ikura (Japanese salmon caviar).Marc Matsumoto
1 1/2 cups
fresh salmon roe
2 large skeins
- Make the brine by adding the dashi, soy sauce, sake, sugar and salt to a bowl and stirring until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved.
- Watch the video for instructions on separating the pearls of caviar from the skein.
- Rinse the caviar with cold water and then put it in a container with enough brine to cover it.
- Save any remaining brine to use as an all-purpose seasoning or for another batch of ikura.
- The ikura will be ready to eat in 1 day.