I know there are some pizza purists out there rolling their eyes and crying foul, so for you, just think of this as kimchi pork bread. The combination of the sweet spicy sauce with the slightly tart pickled cabbage tastes great on the thin crisp crust. Although the crispy pork belly does add a little something, if you’re vegetarian, feel free to leave it out, the kimchi and gochujang have more than enough flavour on their own.
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- kimchi juice
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 450 grams pizza dough
- flour (for dusting)
- cornmeal (for dusting)
- 60 grams Gruyere cheese (shredded)
- 100 grams pork belly (thinly sliced)
- ½ cups kimchi (squeezed of excess juice and chopped)
- 1 scallion (chopped)
- cilantro (for garnish)
- Put the oven rack in the upper middle position, put a pizza stone (or baking sheet) on it and preheat to 475 degrees F.
- To make the sauce, just mix the gochujang with enough kimchi juice so that it's thin enough to easily spread (but not watery). Add the sesame oil and garlic and stir to combine.
- On a well floured surface, roll the dough out until it is less than 1/4" thick. Dust a pizza peel (or wooden cutting board) with course ground cornmeal and lay the dough on top. I used a special pizza pan for my toaster oven so I made the pizza directly on the pan.
- Use a spoon to spread the sauce on the dough.
- Top the sauce with a thin layer of cheese
- Top with cheese with the sliced pork belly and kimchi
- Top with the remaining cheese and scallions
- Gently transfer the pizza to the preheated pizza stone and bake until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven, garnish with cilantro, slice and enjoy!