Since the strawberry buttermilk ice cream turned out so well, I thought I’d try the concept with some different ingredients. I picked up a few pounds of Meyer lemons from Whole Foods the other day, so that got me wondering what Meyer lemon ice cream would taste like. Then I started thinking about lemon icebox cake and it struck me that I had some lemon pound cake sitting around.
Like the strawberry buttermilk ice cream, this recipe uses no eggs or cream and does not need to be cooked. You just whisk it all together and dump it in an ice cream maker.
- 2 Cups buttermilk
- 2/3 Cup condensed milk sweetened
- 1 tablespoon evaporated cane sugar
- 1 Meyer lemon zest of
- 1 Meyer lemon juice of
- 1/2 cup pound cake cut into little cubes
- Whisk the buttermilk, condensed milk, sugar and lemon zest+juice together. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Once it's nice and cold, dump it into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacture's directions. Once the ice cream is done, take it out of the ice cream maker and mix in the pound cake. Serve soft, or put it in the freezer for a bit to set up.