Craving desert, but with no eggs or milk and not enough strawberries to make a sorbet, I thought I might just have to be healthy tonight… Then I spotted a carton of buttermilk! I’ve also been meaning to try using sweetened condensed milk in an ice cream to make it extra creamy, so this seemed like the perfect opportunity.
It didn’t quite turn out how I thought it would taste, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Some interaction between the sweetened condensed milk and the buttermilk makes this strawberry buttermilk ice cream a dead ringer for strawberry cheesecake. I might even try adding some graham crackers next time:-)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup condensed milk sweetened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberries diced
- 2 Tablespoons condensed milk sweetened
- Whisk the first 4 ingredients together and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Dump it into an ice cream maker following the manufactures directions.
- When the ice cream is done, swirl in 2 Tbs sweetened condensed milk. Serve soft or throw it in the freezer for 30 minutes to set up more like store bought ice cream.