I got the idea for this one from a popular Turkish beverage called “apple tea”. I put it in quotes because as far as I can tell it doesn’t actually contain any apples or tea.
Apples are sweet, tangy and… well… apply and I thought it would compliment these sweet tubers nicely. For this dish I used fresh apple cider from Red Jacket Orchards reduced down to a thin syrup along with a little sumac and cinnamon to liven things up.
There are alternating layers of yams (the orange ones) and sweet potatoes (the yellow ones) which add some nice color, but the textures are actually different as well. Yams tend to be more moist and similar in texture to a pumpkin while sweet potatoes are dryer and have a more potato like texture.
To top it off, I used the egg whites left over from the crustless pumpkin pie and made a meringue. It’s lighter than a marshmallow topping, but it doesn’t get quite as crisp. If I did this again, I’d probably top it with some homemade marshmallow cream.
- 2 Cups apple good cider
- 2 yams medium peeled
- 2 sweet potatoes medium peeled
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 Cup sugar powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the apple cider in a small saucepan and boil down to about 1 cup.
- Use a mandoline if you have one and slice the yams and sweet potatoes about 1/16" thick. Put them in a large bowl of cold water.
- In a 9x9 baking dish, lay down a layer of yams then sprinkle with sumac and cinnamon. Continue layering alternating between sweet potatoes and yams and sprinkling with the spices until the pan is 3/4 of the way full.
- Pour the reduced apple cider over the layered potatoes, loosely cover with foil and place it in the oven for 1 hour or until the potatoes are fork tender. At this point you can remove it from the oven, let it cool uncovered and put it in the fridge, or you can go on to make the topping.
- For the topping just whip 3 egg whites until they hold soft peaks then whip in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread the meringue on top of the cooked potatoes and put in a 425 degree oven until the meringue is golden brown and the potatoes are reheated.