Umé JuiceI love finding ways to preserve seasonal flavors so I can enjoy them all year long. One way I do this is by making fruit-infused liqueurs. Uméshu (梅酒), or “plum wine” is made in this manner, by soaking umé fruit and rock sugar in shochu. The problem with this method is that it uses alcohol … Continue reading “Umé Juice”Marc Matsumoto
red shiso leaves only
- Put the ume in a freezer bag and freeze for at least 24 hours.
- Remove the umé from the freezer and add the rock sugar and shiso to the bag.
- Seal the bag and place it in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
- At the end of the 2 weeks, you can strain the syrup, pressing on the solids to get as much liquid out as you can.
- Store the syrup in the refrigerator.