Nikujaga (肉じゃが), or "meat & potatoes" is an easy family favorite in Japan. This modern take includes tomatoes which lends sweetness and flavor to the classic.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 300 grams beef (sliced thinly)
- 360 grams potatoes (8 small , peeled and cut in half)
- 230 grams tomatoes (2 medium , cut into wedges)
- 220 grams onion (1 small , sliced)
- 200 grams shirataki noodles (drained, rinsed , chopped)
- 170 grams carrots (1 large carrot, cut into large pieces)
- 1 cup sake
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 80 grams snap peas (trimmed & sliced in half)
Heat a pan large enough for all of the ingredients over medium high-heat until hot. Add the oil and sugar and swirl to coat. Add the beef and stir-fry until the beef is mostly cooked.
Add the potatoes, tomatoes, onion, shirataki noodles, carrots, sake, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil.
Partially cover with a lid and turn down the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the vegetables and meat are tender (about 50 minutes)
Add the snap peas and cover and steam until they are bright green.