I was recently asked what dish from childhood I remember the most. Cashew chicken (my mom made hers with almonds) was the first to come to mind. Not because it was my favorite, but because it was on the dinner table at least once a week. Quick and tasty I can’t really blame her for making it so often, but by the time I left home, I never wanted to see it again.
Somehow, I managed to avoid it for twenty years (when did I get so old?), but a reader recently requested it, and in a moment of nostalgia, I decided to give it go. Honestly, I feel a little dumb for having avoided it for so long. It’s quick, delicious, and loaded with protein, fiber and vitamins.
Creamy, crunchy and sweet, the cashews partner beautifully with the savory chicken, both in flavor and texture. Together with a medley of crisp vegetables and a savory sauce that’s redolent of nutty toasted sesame oil and ginger, Cashew Chicken is about as easy as dinner gets.
As with any stir-fry you want to cook this over very high heat. This encourages Maillard browning, while keeping the meat moist and the vegetables crisp. Because the high heat makes everything cook faster, a few seconds can mean the difference between tasty caramelization and a bitter burnt taste. That’s why it’s imperative that you have everything prepped and ready to go into the pan before you start.
While I love the mix of crisp celery, sweet onion, vibrant peppers, and crunchy baby corn, you can use a mix of just about any vegetables you like. Just be sure to cut them so they take about the same amount of time to cook through (e.g. carrots take longer to cook so cut them thin). If you want to make this vegan, just swap the chicken out for your favorite protein (firm tofu and konnyaku both work great), and replace the oyster sauce with kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce).
Equipment you'll need:
- buyPrimo Digital Kitchen Scale 11Lb/5Kg, Chrome color$39.95$23.16 SAVE 42%
- buyOXO Good Grips 2-Cup Angled Measuring Cup$7.95
- buyPrepworks by Progressive Magnetic Measuring Spoons, Stainless Steel - Set of 5$19.99$13.95 SAVE 30%
- buyGIR: Get It Right Ultimate Spatula, Magenta$22.53
- buyEmeril by All-Clad E9209964 Hard Anodized Nonstick Fry Pan with Lid Cookware, 12-Inch, Black$79.99SAVE %
- Check out more of Marc's favorite kitchenware and supplies at the No Recipes Store.