Like most people, my experience with baked beans has mostly involved taking a can opener to a can of Van Camp’s or Heinz and reheating. Taken objectively, one might say that baked beans are bland with an insipidly sweet sauce whose only saving grace is an ample dose of vinegar; the occasional bit of meat you may find is more like a piece of wet cardboard than any recognizable animal protein.
But the thing about food is that it can’t be eaten objectively. Every food is inextricably linked to memories. For me, baked beans conjures up images of sitting around a crackling campfire and eating a them straight out of the can, the smell of burning wood hanging in the air, infusing each bite with a marvelously smoky flavor.
Even if you’ve never tasted a food before, certain expectations are set by things you have heard, the atmosphere in which you taste it, or even your mood that day. Indeed, our likes and dislikes are often less about objective measures and more about our experiences. This also explains why our opinions of foods can change based on good or bad experiences.
For my version of baked beans, I wanted to recreate childhood memories of sitting by the campfire, while using ingredients that are a better fit for my adult palette. These beans have a sweet smoky sauce with bold meaty flavor that’s kept in check by the last minute addition of apple cider vinegar. Plenty of big chunks of bacon cut from a slab ensure that you’re never hunting for the meat, and the satiny beans, give way to a smooth creamy interior.
Whether you serve it alongside cornbread and barbecue, or as part of a fry-up, these baked beans will change your opinion of this classic staple, whether your past experiences have been good or bad.
Equipment you'll need:
- buyLe Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 3-1/2-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Cassis$345.00$223.00 SAVE 35%
- buyPrimo Digital Kitchen Scale 11Lb/5Kg, Chrome color$29.95$15.48 SAVE 48%
- buyGIR: Get It Right Ultimate Spatula, Magenta$17.95$15.32 SAVE 15%
- buyPrepworks from Progressive International GT-3469 Stainless Steel Magnetic Measuring Spoons, Set of 5$14.82
- Check out more of Marc's favorite kitchenware and supplies at the No Recipes Store.