I know I’m a bit late to the party, but I’ve been seeing all these Superbowl recipes and although I’m not much of a football buff, they’ve made me a bit envious. So for the first time in a few years I turned on the TV and cooked up some ginger lime buffalo wings (which I’ll post later), a fresh loaf of bread and this tofu spinach artichoke dip.
My last tofu post seemed to get a good reception (I didn’t even get any hatemail), so here’s another tofu dish. This one was inspired by the stove-top Spinach Cheese Dip over at the fantastic White On Rice Couple.
I hope Diane doesn’t kill me for mutilating her recipe, but I love spinach dip, and seeing as I could eat a whole batch by myself, I figured I needed to do something to make it a little healthier (or at least to be able to justify it in my head). I’ve added artichoke hearts and swapped out the cream cheese and milk for silken tofu. I also use a 50/50 mix of Parm Reg and Gruyere, then sprinkle the top with some additional Gruyere before putting it into a hot oven to brown the top.
I won’t lie to you, it’s not quite as rich as the all cheese version, but it’s still creamy and in some ways I like it better. It still has all the cheesy flavor but is lighter, so you can eat more of it. If by some miracle there are leftovers, put it in an omelet the next morning.
- Move your oven rack to the upper middle position and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Heat an oven proof skillet and add a splash of oil. Saute the onions until they are soft then add the garlic, continuing to saute until they are well caramelized and a nice rich brown. Squeeze the excess water out of the spinach and artichoke hearts and add them to the onions, stirring to combine.
- Add the drained tofu and mash with a wooden spoon, stirring to incorporate with everything else. Add the water chestnuts, mayo, Parmigiano Reggiano and 1/2 C of the Gruyere. Stir together until smooth and creamy then salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the remaining Gruyere on top and dust with paprika. Bake in oven until the dip is bubbly and the cheese is golden brown.
- Enjoy with a fresh baked baguette or crackers.